Metropolitan Local Government Review
Metropolitan Local Government Review Website
Terms of Reference
The independent Metropolitan Governance Review Panel was asked by the Minister for Local Government to:
- Identify current and anticipated specific regional, social, environmental and economic issues affecting, or likely to affect, the growth of metropolitan Perth in the next 50 years.
- Identify current and anticipated national and international factors likely to impact in the next 50 years.
- Research improved local government structures, and governance models and structures for the Perth metropolitan area, drawing on national and international experience and examining key issues relating to community representation, engagement, accountability and State imperatives among other things the panel may identify during the course of the review.
- Identify new local government boundaries and a resultant reduction in the overall number of local governments to better meet the needs of the community.
- Prepare options to establish the most effective local government structures and governance models that take into account matters identified through the review including, but not limited to, community engagement, patterns of demographic change, regional and State growth and international factors which are likely to impact.
- Present a limited list of achievable options together with a recommendation on the preferred option.